As I mentioned yesterday, I have been tagged for a "Christmas Hoopla" by A Day in the Life of the Ordinary. Therefore, I am to share 12 (yes, 12 which seems like a huge number at the moment) things about myself relating to Christmas. Let's get started.
1. My grandmother made me this Advent calendar when I was a little girl. I love it! I am now blessed to be able to use it with my kids every year. They place an ornament on the tree from December 1 thru December 24. Santa puts the ornament of himself on the tree for the 25th. She also made me a stocking that I still use at my mom's house.
2. My background on my paternal side is Scottish. My grandfather loved having a Scottish background, therefore, it was our tradition to have oyster stew every year for our Christmas Eve dinner. When I was little I would only eat the broth, but as I got older I would usually eat an oyster or two. Believe it or not I kind of miss this tradition. My uncle still makes it every year...I think I need to get the recipe so I can start the tradition again with my family.
3. My maternal grandfather loved peanuts. Every year he would send us all Hubs peanuts as one of our gifts. They are truly delicious and something we all looked forward to every year. This year my uncle decided that he missed getting his Hubs and figured the rest of us did, too, so he sent us all Hubs. I cried when I got them. It made me miss my grandpa, but I was so touched that my uncle had carried on the tradition.
4. Every year on Christmas Eve I got to open one present. It was always pajamas for me to wear to bed that night. One year, I opened my package on Christmas Eve only to find a hat and scarf. Imagine my surprise! Turns out my dad had mixed up packages, so I got to open another one that contained the PJ's. That was the only year I got to open two presents on Christmas Eve. I have now continued this tradition with my kids.
6. I love not having to set an alarm clock for the entire Christmas break.
7. After Thanksgiving dinner we always bundle up and go for a walk around our neighborhood to see what Christmas lights have been displayed already. This is one of my favorite traditions.
8. I always received an ornament as one of my gifts, so that when I went out on my own I would have a start to my Christmas decorations. I had to arm wrestle them away from my mother, but now that I have I enjoy unpacking them every year. I have now started this tradition for my kids too.
9. Christmas is my husband's favorite time of the year, but he HATES to decorate, therefore, it is primarily my job to decorate our house. Although, he is a
big fat baby really good sport about helping me with the outside lights.
10. I made this stocking for my son. I started it when he was three, he finally got to start using it when he was six. Why yes, my nickname is "Lightening McQueen" how did you know? I haven't started my daughter's yet. She will probably have it for her "Sweet Sixteen" Christmas.
11. My favorite Christmas special is "The Year Without a Santa Clause". Heat Miser and Freeze Miser ROCK!
12. Mostly I just love the cozy time with my family. It is truly a magical time of year.
Whew! I'm finished, hope I didn't wear you out!
Here is the deal, I must specifically tag someone for this hoopla ( please do not refer to it as the "m" word that shall not be named
MeMe, so whom shall I tag?
Well, I think Chased by Children is probably going to be too busy chronicling her trip to Disney to participate and I Should be Folding Laundry has decided on a relaxation theme for her holidays, so she is probably too relaxed to participate, so I am going to have to tag the creator of the Underblog award that crazy gal Dixiechick. Hope she is up for the challenge!