This morning, a carbon monoxide detector, that we have long suspected has been malfunctioning, indicated that we should "get to clean air immediately". Luckily, I was already on my way to school with the kids, and as I mentioned we thought it was more than likely a false alarm. However, over the last few days, my son has been complaining of headaches and feeling tired. Both symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. So wanting to be safe, I told my husband to call the fire department (non-emergency) to see if they would come check the house. The fire department told him to hang up and call 911 and that they would dispatch someone right away. He did just that, and they came. Hence the tongues a waggin' when the fire truck showed up.
Bottom line, they found nothing. All our levels were zero or one. I guess my son was suffering from sinus pressure headaches due to our crazy swings in temperature, as I suspected all along. Mainly, because I too am suffering from said headaches. Also, the malfunctioning detector is in the garbage and we are now the proud owner's of $116.00 worth of new detectors.
Later in the morning, not wanting to feel left out of all the fun the other detectors were having, one of our smoke detectors started beeping. Seriously! I was at the time in a large hurry to get out the door to pick my daughter up from pre-school. Therefore, I stood on a chair and pulled out the dead battery causing the incessant beeping. Guess what? That didn't stop the beeping. Apparently just removing the offending battery isn't enough, because they are also hardwired it will continue its beeping until a fresh battery is installed. I managed to complete this task after returning home with my daughter and about 3 tries installing the battery.
Now all is quiet on the great western front. At least for now, 'cause if you are keeping score that's one repaired dishwasher, two new water heaters, two new carbon monoxide detectors, and one fresh battery since Thanksgiving. Whew.