Are you on Facebook? I am and I must say that it really is quite surreal. Suddenly I find myself in touch with people I haven't seen or even thought about in 20 or more years. I have even connected with the very first friend I ever remember having. It is a bit like a high school reunion everyday. Now, I enjoyed my reunion very much, but some of those old feelings of insecurity did creep in every now and then through the evening. Therefore, I have to keep my guard up to ward off any insecurities the old ties might bring up on Facebook. Also, it shows its frenemy side with all the time it can suck out of your day...consider yourself warned. All in all, I would say it is mostly a friend. A positive and fun, if a bit time warpish, way to keep in touch with new and old friends alike. It is really uplifting to see how well most people are doing and sharing a little of their lives with them. And guess what? Memes aren't just for blogs anymore. There are several memes going around Facebook right now as we speak, so I was tagged and I have answered. If you are in need of some blog fodder please feel free to play along.
25 Random Things About Me
1. I have a great memory. Most of the time this is good, but sometimes it is not so great if I am remembering something sad or embarrassing as the emotions come back too not just a picture of the event.
2. I have slept with a fan in my room since I was about 10. Now my husband can't sleep without one either, and both my kids have fans in their room.
3. I am in the process of writing the next great american novel, or a novel anyway.
4. I am an avid reader, and go through at least a book a week.
5. I have always been painfully shy. It is getting slightly better as I get older as I become more comfortable with me and try to set a good example for my kids, but not sure it will ever go away completely.
6. I ran my first 3 5ks in 2008. I was inspired by my 10 year old son who ran them too and beat me everytime. Oh well, at least my time improved each time and I crossed the finish line running.
7. My true passion is dancing and if I could figure out how to get myself on "Dancing with the Stars" I would do it in a second.
8. I realize #5 would seem to be in contrast with #7, but somehow my shyness doesn't carry over to performing or public speaking.
9. I once gave a speech to an audience of 15,000 people.
10. I absolutely cannot stand speaker phone.
11. I would live my college years differently if I had to do it over again, but probably not for the reason you would think.
12. I always try to do too much with the time I have, therefore, I am frequently running just a tad late.
13. I would like to be more punctual.
14. I am a peacekeeper and tend to avoid conflict if at all possible.
15. I suffer from insomnia. Not every night, but more often than I would like.
16. My husband and I have been together for almost 20 years. We have been through times of war and peace, laughter and tears, victory and defeat, etc., but he is my best friend and there is no one else I would want to take this journey with.
17. My children are the greatest joy in my life. I feel so blessed for the opportunity to be their mom and am grateful for them every minute of everyday.
18. I am trying to become more laid back...not easy for a quilt ridden, perfectionist, worrier like me, but I'm trying.
19. I wish that my family and I were living on Hilton Head Island right now.
20. My mom is my best girlfriend.
21. When we met, my husband was a sweet tooth and I loved salty snacks like chips. Over the years we have convinced each other of the merits of both sweet and salty and now we both are both.
22. I have to work out more now than I used to, see #21, but I love the Hip Hop, Latin Dance, and yoga classes at my gym.
23. My favorite food is sushi.
24. I love playing games.
25. After this I have finished this list I will think of 700 more interesting or witty things I could have said and I will probably lose sleep over it, but not as much as I once would have...see #15 and #18.